Trainee and Internship Programs
The primary purpose of J-1 Exchange Visitor Programs is to increase mutual understanding between people of the United States and people of other countries by means of educational cultural exchanges. The J-1 Trainee and Internship programs provide international participants with opportunities for professional development, insight into American know-how and a greater understanding of American culture.
All CETUSA Trainee and Internship Programs target four goals:
- Provide a program experience that promotes and allows for a participant’s meaningful understanding of American culture, society and people.
- Provide educational career advancement opportunities that will strengthen our participant’s resumes and help them further develop their practical skills and knowledge in their field of expertise.
- Introduce our program participants to their American colleagues working in the same profession.
- Provide an optimum setting to enhance English language skills – in particular the specialized vocabulary of various individual professional fields.
“In the last 18 months I have learnt a tremendous amount of information about entrepreneurship. I have had a chance to work with many founders of startup companies, evaluating their business ideas as well as helping them work on their investor materials. I have also met with venture capitalists, accelerator managers and other people from the startup ecosystem which all together helped me understand the startup world.” – Sharon, Israel, Business Management Participant
What program is for you?
Trainee program is for a foreign national who:
- has a degree or professional certificate from a foreign post-secondary academic institution and at least one year of prior related work experience in his or her occupational field outside the United States
- has five years of work experience outside the United States in the occupational field in which they are seeking training
The maximum duration for the trainee category is 18 months except for the fields of Hospitality and Agriculture when the program is limited to 12 months.
Internship program is for a foreign national who:
- is currently enrolled in and pursuing full-time studies at a foreign degree- or certificate-granting post-secondary academic institution outside the United States
- has graduated from such an institution no more than 12 months prior to his or her exchange visitor program start date
The maximum duration of an internship in any occupational field is 12 months.
“I can only choose the highest rating [for CETUSA], because after my internship, I have tremendous experience on how to run a small business and work in the hospitality industry. I also gained more confidence in communication with different people, negotiation and meeting deadlines not to mention the increase in my language skills.” – Katerina, Czech Republic, Event Management Participant
What is your occupational field of study?
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing
- Arts and Culture
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Education, Social Science and Library Science
- Information Media and Communications
- Management, Commerce and Finance
- Public Administration and Law
- Engineering, Architecture, Mathematics and Industrial Occupations
Types of Program Placements:
CETUSA Placement Program
Applicants may choose to apply to available program positions secured by CETUSA. All participating host companies are carefully pre-screened, and many have successfully hosted trainees or interns in the past. Program candidates who apply for positions through CETUSA’s host company network apply per CETUSA Placement Program terms.
Direct Placement Program
This program is for candidates who meet eligibility requirements and have secured their own trainee or internship opportunity with a U.S. company. A completed CETUSA application, which includes a trainee/internship plan draft (Form DS 7002 Training/Internship Placement Plan), must be submitted by the program applicant prior to receiving a sponsorship decision. Please allow 2-3 weeks for application processing.