High School Study Abroad FAQ

Find answers to some of the more commonly asked questions about studying abroad as a high school student below. If you have further questions, you can email us or fill out the form at the bottom of the page.

Destinations Request More Info
italy IMG WA

Currently, we offer programs in the following countries:












United Kingdom


North America


South America









New Zealand

We are always looking to add more countries, so let us know if you are interested in one not listed above. You can usually find more information on the countries’ individual page. Some of these countries do not have individual pages – in these cases, please contact us for information.

The cost varies per program and per country. The price you see on the website includes the acceptance at a public high school, placement with a volunteer host family, support documents for a visa if needed, and monitoring and supervision by the local partner while in the country.

It does not include international airfare, travel/health insurance (provided separately), visa fees, public transportation passes if required, and any extracurricular expenses. Depending on the country, an arrival orientation may be included, but may also be added on for an extra fee.

We will occasionally offer a discount on the advertised program cost, whether for the full amount or half amount, for studying abroad the following year. The countries that we will offer this for will vary by year. These usually come out in the fall and are due in February for an August (or even the next January) program. Keep your eye on the website and our social media for more information when we get closer.

We do not offer any financial aid.

In general, you should be between 15 and 18 years old. There are some exceptions and you may need to be a certain age by the program start date for school and visa acceptance. Please contact us if you have any concerns.

Again, it varies – some countries have no language requirements for the program, and others would like you to have studied the basics or taken two years of classes.

We highly encourage that you at least learn the basics of the local language before going abroad. If your high school doesn’t offer classes or if they don’t fit in your schedule, see if there are any after school clubs about that country or language (i.e. – French Club, Japan Club).

You can also use websites and/or apps such as DuoLingo and MemRise to help you learn.

We cannot guarantee school credit. This is something you will need to discuss with your high school school counselor.

Find out from your current school what their policy is on study abroad and what they would require for you to get credit.

Some students have been able to take online courses at their high school in the US while abroad – if this is an option for you, you will need to make sure that you still can complete the requirements of the subjects abroad as well and not let them suffer.

High schools abroad don’t usually offer the amount of electives that American high schools do and you should not expect to be able to choose your classes.

Also something to note is that classes will be in the local language and while you are expected to participate, your understanding of the subject might not be as strong.

You should have a C average or higher overall in order to study abroad with no failing grades. Many students have found that school abroad is much harder, and it helps to have a solid grasp on the core subjects. If you have any concerns about your grades, please contact us.

One of the features of our program is cultural immersion, which means you may be placed in an urban, suburban, or rural area depending on host families, the local support system, and other factors. In some cases, you may request a city or area (although it is not guaranteed) at an additional cost. We recommend that you go into the program with an open mind and enthusiasm for trying something new.

Our emphasis is on cultural and educational exchanges with local immersion in host families. With that said, yes, we do offer limited summer programs, ideal for those who are not looking to miss high school in the United States.

Very few countries have the option for a summer program so please contact us for the most current information.

If you are going on a semester or year-long program, yes, you will need a visa to enter the country. Germany is an exception, as you can receive a residence visa after you arrive.

If you are studying abroad on a short term program (90 days or less), it depends on the country.

All visa support documents are provided by our partner. We will walk you through the visa process, but you should know that it is possible you may need to travel to the nearest visa processing facility at your own expense.

The first step is to fill out the form at the bottom of this page and someone will get in touch with you. Once we have this information and you have indicated that you would like to move forward, we can set you up with an application, which varies depending on the country you are interested in.